Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q. Who do I contact if I have a home gardening question?
For Fort Bend County, we definitely recommend you contact our Hotline volunteers! They provide timely, researched answers to most of your questions. If they don’t have the answer immediately, they will use the numerous resources available to them (such as the Aggies websites and our horticultural extension agent). To contact our hotline, visit the Contact page for phone, fax, email or physical location information.

Q. Where are the Fort Bend County Master Gardeners located?
A statewide, non-profit called the Texas Master Gardener Association was formed in the Texas AgriLife Extension office annex at 1402 Band Road, Rosenberg. A map to the FBMG offices can be found under Contact.

Q. How do I become a Master Gardener?
Visit the Become A Master Gardener page for information on our upcoming training class, requirements, cost and application forms.

Not in Fort Bend County? Visit the Aggie Horticulture’s® Texas Master Gardener Homepage to find the nearest Extension office with the program.

Q. I am a commercial grower. Can the Master Gardeners help me?
No. Master Gardeners are not equipped to help commercial growers. Please contact the Fort Bend County Extension Office. Their website is Fort Bend County Extension Office.

Composting Questions

Q. What is composting and how do I get started?
A good place to start is the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension website at the Easy Gardening-Composting.

Q. Where can I find information about composting containers?
The Aggie Horticulture® website has the answer for you on their website, Composting Structures.

Insects and Vegetables

Q. I tried growing tomatoes this year and had some problems. Where can I find information to help me solve my problems?
The Texas AgriLife Extension Service’s Aggie Horticulture® should be your first stop in finding that kind of information – particularly the Tomato Problem Solver website.

Q. My vegetable garden shows signs of insect damage throughout it. What kind of controls can I use?
Visit the Department of Entomology’s Integrated Pest Management for the Home Vegetable Garden at Texas A&M to identify the specific insect problem and some recommendations for their control.

Q. I have an insect, and I don’t know what it is. How can I get this identified?
You have several options.

  • First, bring the insect to our office and ask our Hotline volunteers. All visits like this will create a great excitement for everyone!
  • Or, if you have a high quality digital image, you can submit it electronically to our Hotline volunteers at FortBendmg@ag.tamu.edu and ask for an identification.
  • Next, you can visit Insects in the City to obtain an insect identification form and ship the subject to Texas A&M.
  • Finally, you could visit Texas A&M Department of Entomology website to search for your information.

Q. I like butterflies. What plants should I have in my yard?
One of our Master Gardeners has a listing of the butterflies common to Fort Bend County and the plants they prefer. Each plant is designated as either a “host” or “nectar” plant. You can see this listing in our Entomology section under Attracting Butterflies to your Garden.

Q. How can I control these pesky imported red fire ants?
Followg the recommendations of the experts at A&M Imported Fire Ant. Addtionally, you can find specific broadcast bait recommendations at Texas Imported Fire Ant Research and Management Project page Managing Fire Ants for Specific Sites.

Q. I’ve seen bees swarming. Are they Africanized bees?
You cannot tell native honey bees from Africanized bees simply by observing. See our page on Bees for more information.

Miscellaneous Questions

Q. I want my lawn green and alive. Where can I find out information about how to do this?
Check the information at the Texas A&M University Turfgrass program – AggieTurf – website.

Q. I want to raise roses, but I don’t want to spend all of my time with them. What varieties work best in Fort Bend?
Although many varieties work here, the most extensively tested roses are Earth-Kind® Roses. You may learn more about these at Earth-Kind® Roses.

Q. Is my soil too acidic/alkaline? How can I find out?
You need your soil analyzed. You can call our Hotline and request a kit that you can use to gather the soil and send to Texas A&M for analysis. Or, you can visit soiltesting.tamu.edu for all the information you need about getting your soil tested.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.